Pages

Monday, October 19, 2015

The Visit (PG-13)

My Rating: 35%
The Rotten Tomatoes: 62%
Audience Rating: 57%

This movie could be summed up in one word. Disappointing. This movie was described as a Thriller/Horror. If this movie is an example of Thriller/Horror, then the whole world must have gone soft. When I first heard of the movie, I basically heard it was about kids visiting their creepy grandparents. The idea around it sounded good, but the overall concept wasn't delivered well in the film.

I'm going to give a brief description of the movie, without spoilers. Two children, brother and sister, leave their mom so they can spend a week at their grandparents house, who've they never met or seen before. All is well for them until they notice strange things happening to their grandparents as night falls. Upon closer examination of the issue, the two of them learn a dangerous secret that may not let them leave alive.

To be honest, I was never a fan of Thriller/Horror movies, and really the only reason I went to this one was because my friend desperately wanted to see it, and none of her friends wanted to go. So yes, I decided to go with her. (After much persuasion) Also, the movie was only rated PG-13, so I thought it wouldn't be that scary. And man, was I right. The entire movie you expect something scary to happen, and it really never does. They set it up so you think you know it's coming, and nothing comes. I would have preferred the movie to at least live up to it's title of a Thriller/Horror movie. At the end of the film, you just have a feeling of disappointment, because nothing memorable happened.

This movie is the type of movie that you forget about in a couple days. There were not really any plot twits, and the movie itself just dragged on. I always thought: Ok, nothing happened on this day, but it has to happen tomorrow, or tonight. Nope. Never happened. Like I said, disappointing. To be fair, I should have known from the start it wasn't going to be this hardcore horror movie. It's only rated PG-13 and many people also describe it as a Horror/Comedy. Why is that even a thing??? Comedy does not have any place in a horror movie! It just... doesn't work!

I do have one positive-ish thing to say. If you are someone who doesn't really know if watching a horror movie is a good idea (based on personal preference) then this movie is definitely one I would recommend. The fact that nothing scary really ever happens (even though it kind of happens... occasionally) can help you compare to other horror movies. You can see the difference between a horror movie rated PG-13, and one rated R. As i found out, it's quite the leap.

Overall, I must say that this movie was just... boring. And of course, disappointing. People watch these movies to be scared, and it just didn't deliver that. And let me remind you that I'm not into scary movies in the first place. So if I think it's not that bad, then you DEFINITELY know it's not that bad. Also I do want to add that I know there was an original movie, made a while ago. I have not watched that one, and I don't know how it compares to this one. Honestly, after this experience, I don't think I ever want to find out.

Watch the trailer for this movie here.
(By personal opinion, the trailer was scarier than the movie. That's right.)

The photo ad for the movie. Found it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment