Pages

Monday, February 1, 2016

A Letter to the Critics

Dear Critics at The Rotten Tomatoes,

I know people normally say that they want a job where they can just watch movies all day while giving opinions about it, but I've realized while writing this blog that it's definitely more than that. At times, well actually most of the time, it's a lot harder than people actually think it is. But also at the same time, it isn't rocket science. You know that. I know that. It's still fairly challenging nonetheless.

The thing is, when it's your job, you don't get to decide what you want or don't want to watch. I'm sure not all of you have to watch everything, but you all mainly do the majority. And that means not only to you get to watch and critique the movies you really want to see and look very good, but you also have to sit through and critique all the movies that look terrible, and that probably no one will see. But this is what you're here for. Heck I could even say that this is what I'm here for, on my blog. We help the people decide. Since the internet is always at everyone's fingertips, it's unbelievably easy just to look up a movie that looks interesting to you and check the reviews. And if they're bad... well, it's very unlikely that they're going to see that movie!

Photo courtesy of vimeo.com

I know it also must be hard when there is a lot of criticism thrown at you when you guys give a review that isn't popular to the masses. People do constantly make jokes relating to the critics, saying things like, "if they hate it, it must be a great movie." Look, I'm not going to lie. People have very different opinions. Even though I respect you guys very much for the things you do, that doesn't mean I'm going to agree with you all the time. For example, you gave a fairly good review to a movie called The Visit. I thought that movie was one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life, but obviously most of you did not feel this way.

But of course, I'm an amateur when it comes to critiquing movies, as it says right in my blog name. That means I'm going to have my own opinion, and of course, it's only the opinion of a fifteen year-old girl, which honestly isn't saying much. I highly doubt a grown man will have the same opinion of a movie as me. But I've learned that doesn't really matter. I like reading reviews because I like knowing the opinions of other people. I want to know what they think. I decided to review movies because I wanted people to know what I think, even though I'm just a teenage girl. That might make my reviews interesting for people, because they want to see it in my point of view.

We like to know what others think. Looking at your reviews for movies is a fun thing to do, and occasionally we will even have the same opinion at times, which makes it very fun. I hope you all love what you're doing, and I also hope you don't let negativity from others put a damper on what you do. Because I, for one, think it's pretty cool.

From,
Juliana (A Critic In Training)

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. And I also have mixed feelings about Rotten Tomatoes. I look at their ratings for fun, but I never actually take them seriously... Also, if you have seen the movie The Visit please never tell me anything about it. I currently love my grandmother, and I wish to continue loving and trusting her. Kay thanks :)

    ReplyDelete