Pages

Friday, May 6, 2016

My Neighbor Totoro (G)

My Rating: 95%
The Rotten Tomatoes: 93%
Audience Rating: 94%

I seriously cannot believe I haven't seen this movie until now. I've heard so many things about it, so I finally started to watch it. I'm also kinda going through a Studio Ghibli phase, so expect my new blog post to be on another one of these films. I love love LOVE their animation style. It's simply breathtaking. Even if you don't care for the overall plot (which I highly doubt would happen) people would still stay just to witness how amazing the animation is. It's just so amazingly beautiful. And the funny thing is, this movie is actually pretty old. It's surprising how good they can be at editing like this in that time period. They style of animation is just so beautiful and original.

Anyways, I'm now going to be giving a brief summary of this movie. Two young girls move into a house in the countryside to be closer to their hospitalized mother. They soon discover that the forest nearby is inhabited by magical creatures called Totoros. They soon befriend these Totoros, and they all go on several magical adventures together.

Picture courtesy of geekout.blogs.cnn.com

This movie was incredible!! It was beautiful, touching, tear jerking, and overall just really well executed. Like all Studio Ghibli films, the plot was so unbelievably original. There's no way you're going to find a movie before this that was even remotely like it. I think that's so amazing to have such original ideas like that. This movie has actually been out for a while, and like I said earlier, I'm really surprised that I just saw it now. This has been out for forever, but somehow I've just never gotten around to watching it. I'm so happy I did. It ended up being very rewarding.

I hope that everyone has the chance to see this masterpiece of a movie at some point in their lives. It's just such a well-known and original movie, I feel like it's just one of those that you have to see. And also, I know I've brought up Studio Ghibli a couple times in this post. If you don't recognize them by name, they have also done amazing movies like Spirited Away, Ponyo, When Marnie Was There (which is actually the movie I will be reviewing in the next post) and many, name more brilliant films.

Although the movie may come off as very simple and quaint in the beginning, it quickly takes a turn to exciting and different, while still keeping that beautiful simplicity about it. That's what makes these films so amazing. They surround plots that aren't real in real life (like seeing Totoros) but at the same time, it just feels so unbelievably real. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to see this movie, and I definitely hope I can see it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment