Pages

Friday, May 6, 2016

When Marnie Was There (PG)

My Rating: 98%
The Rotten Tomatoes: 90%
Audience Rating: 88%

Wow. If I could sum up this movie in one word... it would be wow. This was one of the best films I've ever seen. I'm not kidding. This was so unbelievably amazing, I just can't put it into words. Before I go on, I'm actually going to give the summary right here, because it's actually really short. A tomboy by the name of Anna explores a long-forgotten mansion when she meets a mysterious blonde girl that only she can see. That's it. That's the summary. I could go into more details, but I think that would spoil the overall surprise of the movie. So if you really want to know more, my biggest suggestion would be to GO WATCH THE MOVIE BECAUSE IT'S AMAZING AND I CAN'T EVEN DESCRIBE HOW INCREDIBLE IT IS SO JUST GO WATCH IT.
...Please. :)

Photo courtesy of usatoday.com

Actually, this movie is kinda taking the world by storm. And in fact, it's not just because it's an amazingly beautiful film that I would watch a million times and then a million times again. It's because this is the last ever Studio Ghibli film to ever be made. There will be no more. Which, for a lot of people, is extremely devastating news. Their films are some of the best of all time. In case you didn't read my last blog post, which was actually a review on a different Studio Ghibli film, I'll tell you some of their work. They have made such films as Spirited Away, Ponyo, My Neighbor Totoro, and a ton of other brilliant works. I've been very addicted to watching all of the Studio Ghibli films lately, not gonna lie. Is this something I should be concerned about? 
...It's probably fine. I don't I'm freaking out or anything. *twitches*

ANYWAYS... this movie covers a ton of major issues that teens deal with today, like depression, self hate, friendship, love, and tragedies. If you cannot tell by some of the themes, yes. There were many points in this movie that I almost broke into a wave of tears. There was this one scene that I just can't get over... The chemistry that's shown between the characters just feels so unbelievably real, so beautiful, so incredible...Yeah I definitely cried at that. No shame, no shame. Just a lot of tears.

The ending of this movie was extraordinary. We were given such a twist, I wouldn't be able to see it coming from a mile away. It was so shocking. It was perfectly amazing. I always think, I would never be able to come up with such brilliant twists like that. There's just no way I could do it. That kind of thought that goes into this movie... That's just half of it. The other half is the unbelievable animation. It's so breathtakingly gorgeous, I don't even know how it's possible. Animation has come so far with Studio Ghibli... But even though they are advancing in it, they still kept their style till the end. And it couldn't have ended better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment